The “Integrated and Wireless Systems” division, based in Neuchâtel, Switzerland is looking for
Traditional AI applications run centralized machine learning computations, which results in high latency and energy for data communication. Edge AI could overcome this, allowing to run AI at the edge of the network on tiny microcontrollers. However, these have limited processing power and memory size, and as such they cannot handle more complex tasks.
Your goal in this project is to provide collaboration among embedded devices by means of the early exit mechanism. This technique introduces an early exit in an AI model at one of the early layers, to be able to exit when the model is confident enough about the result. If not, it outsources the remaining layers to another device. This enables running more powerful AI models, while reducing energy and inference latency.
You will evaluate this technique on a development board, embedding a low-power Arm Cortex-M4/M7 processor. You will assess the potential benefits of collaboration between those devices on a person detection, intrusion detection or localisation use case. These devices can be static or mounted on a moving object such as a drone.
- Benchmark the early exit technique on different machine learning architectures.
- Implement the early exit technique on an in-house real-time embedded operating system (RTOS) using the TensorFlow Lite Micro AI framework.
- Optimize the collaboration between two embedded devices, in terms of both AI computations and energy/latency spent on wireless communication.
- Background in deep learning (CNNs, RNNs…) architectures and evaluation
- Background in embedded systems
- Experience with Tensorflow/Keras or PyTorch
- Good programming skills C/Python
- Natural curiosity and ability to adapt to new situations
- Autonomous and hands-on, motivated in playing a key role in the development of innovative solutions
- Open-minded attitude and well-developed team-spirit
- Strong communication skills
CSEM mission and values
Our mission is the development and transfer of innovative technologies to the Swiss industry and our strength is the excellence of our people who are passionate about technologies and innovation.
- A unique place between research and industry at the cutting edge of new technologies
- An innovative, non-profit, and employee-driven company
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, and multicultural environment
- A solar team focused on enabling solutions to energy challenges for a sustainable world
- being part of a passionate community
- incredible flexibility, attractive working conditions, and great opportunities of development
- benefit from a management style based on trust & feedback and that favors a work-life balance
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity.
We look forward to receiving your complete application file via (CV, cover letter, certificates & diplomas) our job page.
Preference will be given to professionals applying directly.