As an intern in the Sample Handling and Sensing group, you will support all activities in the Life Science Technologies area with a focus on microfluidics, sample handling, and lab automation for in-vitro diagnostics, Organ-on-a-Chip, and regenerative medicine applications. Examples of current and past projects include OrganTrans (organoids, robotics, and microfluidics), Moore4Medical (microfluidics and biosensing), and BioCDx (diagnostics and microfluidics). Within the strategic goals of the group, you will contribute to the development of disruptive technologies. The work will be primarily engineering, but in close collaboration with biologists, chemists, and physicists (may involve travel to other CSEM sites).
We are looking for an intern to support us in:
- Implementation, testing, and biovalidation of prototype systems, specifically with regards to design, fabrication, testing, image acquisition, and sample handling.
- Design, fabrication / prototyping, and assembly of prototype systems
- Performing of validation experiments for prototype systems
- Analysis of resultant data and preparation of presentations summarizing the results
- Strong background in a life science-related field (e.g. engineering, physics, biology, chemistry)
- Wet lab experience
- Experience with fluidics and / or cell handling systems
- Rapid prototyping (e.g. 3D printing, micromilling, hot embossing), CAD (e.g. SolidWorks)
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Strong English-speaking skills required, German and / or French-speaking skills a plus
- Driven and motivated
- Good communication skills
- Highly collaborative
- Flexible and adaptable thinking / operating style
CSEM mission and values
Our mission is the development and transfer of innovative technologies to the Swiss industry. We love to make an impact on our customers and on society at large in the fields of precision manufacturing, digital technologies and sustainable energy. Our strength is the excellence of our people, about 550 passionate specialists dedicated to innovation and technology transfer. We believe that strong values support the successful development of our organization as well as the harmonious and balanced development of all our employees.
- A unique place at the interface between research and industry, at the cutting edge of new technologies.
- An innovative, non-profit, impact-oriented, and employee-driven company.
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, and multicultural environment.
- Being part of a passionate community.
- Having incredible flexibility, attractive working conditions, and great development opportunities.
- Benefiting from a management style based on trust & feedback, that favours a sustainable work-life balance
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity.
We look forward to receiving your complete application file (CV, cover letter, certificates & diplomas) via our job page. Preference will be given to professionals applying directly.