Facing the challenges of our time
Help us grow and be more impactful!
The “Digital Energy Solutions” group of our “Sustainable Energy” Business Unit based in Neuchâtel, Switzerland, is currently looking for a (Senior) Machine Learning Scientist for Sustainable Energy.
CSEM’s Digital energy solutions group creates AI systems to secure a sustainable energy world. It serves producers and operators of grid-edge systems, and partners with utilities to specify and test solutions. It runs confidential research projects for industrial customers and collaborative innovation projects with public co-funding when technology risks are high. Its main outputs are inventions, knowledge and cloud-native software components.
As a (senior) machine learning scientist for sustainable energy, you will build on and expand the state of the art in relevant disciplines to create solutions that generate business and societal value. You will collaborate with colleagues, customers and external partners in project teams and will take responsibility for key deliverables. You will document findings and results through reports, oral presentations, patent proposals and research papers. Moreover, you will contribute to the life of the team through e.g., project proposals, supervision of interns, or technical support.
As a (Senior) Machine Learning Scientist, your main responsibilities are the following:
- Identify and validate problems in the power and energy sector that can be solved with ML
- Conceptualize, implement and test machine learning architectures, algorithms and models
- Optimize models based on the requirements of the application (speed, latency, memory…)
- Apply good practices for software development and prepare deployment
- Analyse, organize and visualize data
- Identify additional datasets and generate synthetic data
- Identify and document relevant findings from the research and patent literature
- Identify and apply relevant standards and regulations for e.g., cybersecurity, smart metering or trading of electricity
- Identify opportunities for patent protection
- Present results at relevant conferences, trade fairs and project meetings
- Propose experimental and development plans for R&D projects and estimate the corresponding effort
- Write reports, memos and scientific papers
- MSc or PhD in data science, electrical engineering, applied mathematics or equivalent with three years of R&D or consulting experience
- Strong knowledge of concepts and techniques for machine learning
- Knowledge of at least one advanced area in machine learning (e.g., graph machine learning, causal machine learning, time-series classification)
- Understanding of motivations and challenges for a sustainable energy system
- Ability to formulate verifiable objectives and hypotheses
- Fluency in English and willingness to learn French. Knowledge of additional Swiss languages is advantageous
- Advanced programming capabilities in Python
- Ability to communicate with a multidisciplinary audience
- Ability to define and take responsibility for one’s contribution in a team
- Good listening skills and presentation skills
CSEM mission and values
Our mission is the development and transfer of innovative technologies to the Swiss industry. Our objective is to make an impact on our customers and on society at large in the fields of precision manufacturing, digital technologies and sustainable energy. Our strength is the excellence of our people, about 550 passionate specialists dedicated to innovation and technology transfer. We believe that strong values support the successful development of our organization as well as the harmonious and balanced development of all our employees.
- A unique place between research and industry at the cutting edge of new technologies
- An innovative, non-profit, and employee-driven company
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, and multicultural environment
- A solar team focused on enabling solutions to energy challenges for a sustainable world
- being part of a passionate community
- incredible flexibility, attractive working conditions, and great opportunities of development
- benefit from a management style based on trust & feedback and that favors a work-life balance
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity.
We look forward to receiving your complete application file via (CV, cover letter, certificates & diplomas) our job page.
Preference will be given to professionals applying directly.