Facing the challenges of our time
Help us grow and be more impactful!
We are looking for a business-savvy, inspiring and communicative Business Unit Leader.
As a Vice-President and member of the Executive Management Board, the Business Unit Leader is responsible for the strategy and the operational performance of our Business Unit dedicated to scientific instrumentation. He/she defines the annual objectives for the Business Unit in relation to the global objectives of CSEM and leads a team of about 60 specialists in the fields of precision mechanisms, sensing & control, laser and quantum technologies.
- Define the strategy of the Business Uni, the research programs and activities.
- Support the negotiation and approval of the contracts with the industrial and academic partners.
- Supervise the business acquisition pipeline and maintain the good relationship with all external and internal partners (between BUs).
- Define and approve the technology roadmap in CSEM’s scientific instrumentation activities.
- Coordinate and follow-up the research and development of the technology platforms in lasers and advanced photonics, precision mechanisms and quantum technologies
- Participate actively to CSEM’s Research Committee
- Define, approve and control the budget, forecast, monthly finances and project portfolio of the Business Unit
- Plan and approve all investments of the Business Unit
Marketing & communication
- Ensure the visibility of CSEM, and more specific of its scientific instrumentation activities
- Develop and promote his activities through conferences, exhibitions, workshops, publications, and articles in collaboration with the marketing and sales teams.
- Ensure the communication for all people in the BU (decisions, roadmaps, lead the management meetings, etc.)
- Ensure the Quality System according to the ISO Standards 9001 and 14001 in collaboration with the QM Manager
- Lead and manage a group of managers (approx.10) and a staff of approx. 60 people in the Business Unit
- In collaboration with the VP-HR, manage the staffing (e.g. hirings, onboarding, equity, evolution)
- Supervise the operation of the Research & BusDev Group , the Project Office (PO), and the Quality Manager
- At least a masters degree in engineering and/or in Physics, PhD and/or MBA an asset
- At least 15 years of professional experience, experience in a similar position (group leader) is a must
- Know-how in time and frequency is a must
- A good system engineering and scientific instrumentation know-how is a must
- Proven track record in one or more of the following technology domains is a must: precision mechanisms, laser technologies and advanced photonics, quantum technologies, atomic clocks, LiDAR systems
- Finance acumen
- Fluent in English and French, German is a plus
- An inspiring leader with excellent listening skills and the ability to instill confidence in his/her teams
- Ability to define a vision and to provide clear directions and priorities to execute on it
- Strong analytical skills combined with structured and critical thinking
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills with industry and academia
- Ability to popularize technologies
CSEM mission and values
Our mission is the development and transfer of innovative technologies to the Swiss industry and our strength is the excellence of our people who are passionate about technologies and innovation.
- A unique place between research and industry at the cutting edge of new technologies
- An innovative, non-profit, and employee-driven company
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, and multicultural environment
- A solar team focused on enabling solutions to energy challenges for a sustainable world
- being part of a passionate community
- incredible flexibility, attractive working conditions, and great opportunities of development
- benefit from a management style based on trust & feedback and that favors a work-life balance
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity.
We look forward to receiving your complete application file via (CV, cover letter, certificates & diplomas) our job page.
Preference will be given to professionals applying directly.