Technologies that make the difference
CSEM is a private research, technology and innovation center specializing in micro technology, microelectronics, system engineering, and renewable energy systems. It offers its customers and industry partners custom-made innovative solutions. Our strength is the excellence of our people.
The “Integrated Flexible Sensors” group, based in Allschwil/BL, is a team specialized in Functional Printing, Micro-/Nanostructuring and Optics, developing sensors and optics for applications ranging life sciences to industrial and robotics. The group is currently looking for a
As PhD student in the group "Biosystems Engineering", you contribute to applied research and development projects in the area of "Life Science Technologies" with specific focus on the development of a point-of-care device for cancer diagnostics as part of a EU project ("PHOREVER"; PHOtonic integrated OCT-enhanced flow cytometry for canceR and cardiovascular diagnostics enabled by Extracellular VEsicles discrimination). Within the strategic objectives of the project, you identify, design, and combine different technical workflows with which exosomes are isolated from whole blood and prepared for the detection by a photonic module. The work focusses on biological sample preparation (whole blood and blood serum) as well as microfluidic module development. As a team player, you contribute with your research and development to the achievements of CSEM as well as of the complete EU project consortium
- Manage your research activities in your field in alignment with the EU project requirements and needs (development of technical workflow solutions, technical evaluation of the individual and fully combined technology bricks, validation tests of the final module)
- Develop protocols for extracellular vesicle isolation and marking in microfluidic modules
- Develop microfluidic modules compatible with mass manufacturing technologies and affordable fluid control units
- Writing of scientific publications as well as contributions to scientific conferences
- Become a reference person in your area of research being informed about the state-of-the-art in academia and industry
- Pro-actively propose game-changing ideas about new research activities within the group roadmap
- Communicate well in between CSEM and the affiliated academic entity
- Promote CSEM activities internally and in national and international conferences
- Develop internal and external processional network
- Master degree - or equivalent - in biomedical engineering, mechanical engineering, bioengineering or similar
- Fulfilment of the admission requirements of the Biosystems Science and Engineering Department of ETH Zurich (https://bsse.ethz.ch/doctorate.html)
- Biological cell culture handling know-how and/or experience in work with blood samples is a strong plus
- Experience in microfluidics is a strong plus
- Design of point-of-care devices as well as point-of-care assays is a plus
- MS Office and data analysis skills is a prerequisite
- Strong English-speaking skills required, German and / or French-speaking skills is a plus
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly collaborative and excellent interpersonal skills, team player
- Flexible and adaptable thinking / operating style
- Strong analytical thinking for problem solving and managing of multidisciplinary projects
- Supporting gender diversity
CSEM mission and values
Our mission is the development and transfer of innovative technologies to the Swiss industry and our strength is the excellence of our people who are passionate about technologies and innovation.
- A unique place between research and industry at the cutting edge of new technologies
- An innovative, non-profit, and employee-driven company
- A dynamic, multidisciplinary, and multicultural environment
- A solar team focused on enabling solutions to energy challenges for a sustainable world
- being part of a passionate community
- incredible flexibility, attractive working conditions, and great opportunities of development
- benefit from a management style based on trust & feedback and that favors a work-life balance
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity.
We look forward to receiving your complete application file via (CV, cover letter, certificates & diplomas) our job page.
Preference will be given to professionals applying directly.